Homeopathy recognizes that symptoms are the body’s attempt to express its need for healing when it is out of balance and that the use of homeopathy can gently shift the body back into a state of health. Homeopathy is an effective treatment modality that works by stimulating the body’s innate ability to heal itself.
In homeopathic therapy, the patient is treated as an individual and symptoms are used as a guide to identify the correct homeopathic remedy. Homeopathy recognizes that not all individuals respond to disease in the same way and that not all diseases can be cured with the same treatment.
Remedies are selected based on the unique constellation of mental, emotional and physical symptoms to treat mental, emotional and physical pathologies.
Homeopathy is a distinct scientific system of medicine that Naturopathic Physicians are trained in to use acutely for recent illness or constitutionally for longstanding, chronic illness. Homeopathy can be used as a standalone therapy or in conjunction with your current treatment plan.
THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF HOMEOPATHY
- Like cures like: Substances that produce symptoms when given in large doses to healthy individuals can resolve those symptoms when given in micro-doses to ill individuals.
- The totality of the symptoms is considered: The individual’s complete symptom picture is taken into account, including mental, emotional and physical complaints.
- A single remedy is given: One homeopathic medicine is chosen to match the totality of the patient’s symptoms.
- A minimum dose is given: The individual’s innate healing powers are stimulated by only a small stimulus. The use of the minimum dose has the advantage that it does not produce side effects so often caused by conventional treatments.
- The remedies are micro-doses: Homeopathic medicines are “potentized” to minute dosages in which there may be no physical trace of the original substance, only the energetic signature. The more dilute the substance, the more powerful the medicine.
- Direction of cure: When treating chronic disease, prior symptoms that have been suppressed but not actually resolved may re-emerge prior to complete cure.
Dr. Erin Carner received her doctorate in naturopathic medicine from the National University of Natural Medicine. She has studied Classical Homeopathy extensively and is certified by the New England School of Homeopathy. She is available for homeopathic consultations or as part of a comprehensive naturopathic visit.